Monday, May 23, 2016

Hibernation


Definition:  “Hibernation is a deep sleep that helps them to save energy and survive the winter without eating much. During hibernation the animal's body temperature drops, and its heartbeat and its breathing slow down so that it does not use much energy.”

I know that I am hibernating.  I find myself avoiding … well … pretty much everything.

I am resolutely following my eating plan, meal after meal, day after day.  Planning, shopping, preparing, eating, logging, tidying up.  Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.  I eat alone, for the most part (DH eats in front of the loud tv, and continues to snack in front of the tv into the evening.  WeeDD eats out, or late in the evening when I am in bed.  The cat makes poor dinner company.

I am not eating to be social, or for pleasure of any kind.  And certainly not for comfort.  I am eating because I am hungry, and it is time to put in the allotted number of calories.  Open slot, insert required amount.  A walking, talking food bank.

I have my head down, limbs pulled in, trying to just push through and avoid any storms.  I am avoiding arguments, conversations, social engagements, eating out.  I aim for a middle mood (no distracting highs, no food-craving lows).  I am plodding along, waiting for time to pass.  I feel almost disconnected from myself.  I feel like I am waiting.  Waiting for … something.

What?

Waiting for my weight metamorphosis?

Waiting for someone to notice?

Waiting for no one to notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment